[For the record, I totally stole this idea from my friend Tasha. Just wanted to give credit where credit was due.]
So, today is my husband’s birthday. His 34th birthday, to be exact. I’ve decided to list the Top 20* reasons why I love my husband. Mushy? Maybe. Too bad. :)
1. He loves Jesus. I love knowing that he desires to be the best Christ follower he can be and is also willing to admit that he’ll always fall short.
2. He’s a musician. What can I say? I’m not the only girl with a thing for musicians. ;)
3. He follows his heart, even when it’s not easy. He left a good-paying job in ATL to start playing music full time, and last year stepped out in faith by leaving his church job to tour more. Tough decisions that didn’t make sense to the world, but what he felt God was leading him to do.
4. He does his own laundry. All the time. Even the ironing. Enough said.
5. He can cook. Not just that, but he can cook well. It’s so nice to come home on the days I have late lessons and walk in to dinner being ready.
6. He’ll watch “girly” TV shows with me. I hope this doesn’t revoke his man card, but he’s just as interested in Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice as I am.
7. He makes me laugh. It’s usually about the stupidest stuff, but I’m not sure anyone laughs as much as we do together.
8. He has a great hairstyle. Or lack thereof. I’m a fan of the bald look. :)
9. He lets me know that he appreciates me. He’s always thanking me for the things I do, even when they’re not really a big deal.
10. He speaks with kindness. No one is perfect, the two of us included, but we try very intentionally to communicate kindly around our house, which is something he initiated. We can both be hurt easily by words, so we make an effort to avoid that as much as possible. We disagree about things but we’ve never had a screaming match (yet – haha). I’m thankful that he brought up our communication while we were still dating and established healthy boundaries.
11. He guards his heart. I’m not naive to the struggles most guys go through, and he has placed safeguards in his life to help him resist temptation. We use a computer software called Covenant Eyes and it’s awesome. I’m so thankful he trusted me enough to open up to me about this and take the steps necessary to fight it.
12. He cares immensely for other people. He has a heart for hurting people and wants to help wherever he can.
13. He loves our pets. In fact, we wouldn’t even have our chihuahua Cash if he wasn’t such a softie to animals. One look at that little buddy and he knew we had to bring him home.
14. He likes low key days. Sometimes Date Day involves all-day jammies and The Office marathons. And it’s bliss.
15. He’s good with kids. Whether they call him Mr. Scott, Scottie, or Burrito (ahem…don’t ask), he’s always great with them.
16. He loves learning. He’s always up for reading a good book or listening to NPR. Even if I make fun of him because I think the subject matter is boring I love that he wants to continually learn. Which is why it was perfect that…
17. He took me to Washington, D.C. for our honeymoon. It was the perfect place for broke nerds like us who wouldn’t have wanted to lay on the beach for a whole week even if we could have afforded a plane ticket. Free museums? Yes, please!
18. He thinks of my little sister as his little sister. She actually had her boyfriend pretty scared of us before we met him because he knew he needed our approval. He passed the test. :)
19. He’s a good friend. If you need someone to walk through a hard time with you, this is the guy. He’ll cry with you and offer advice and ask the tough questions.
20. He puts up with me! I am a slob (which I am working on) and a nerd (which I don’t think there’s any hope for). I pretty much always look disheveled and I clam up around new people because I am awful at small talk. Whenever I do something particularly quirky, he just smiles and shakes his head (and sometimes calls me a nerd, which I can’t deny). He knew what he was getting into when he married me. :)
I love you, babe. You’re my best friend and I’m so thankful to be your wife. I hope your birthday is wonderful. :)
* I realize 20 is a random number. 10 reasons just didn’t feel like enough, and I was going to go all the way to 34 but I realized that I would probably end up boring people more than I already was. So, 20 it is. :)